It seems like everyone is on the pumpkin spice train these days. This French toast rolls the best of Fall into one. Earthy pumpkin + warm cinnamon + toasty walnuts + sweet maple syrup. Throw in some plaid, a cute pair of boots and a fuzzy sweater and you might be the season’s poster child. Best of all, this dish comes together in about 10 minutes (who says French toast is only for Sundays?)
Pumpkin Spice French Toast with Roasted Walnuts and Warm Maple Drizzle
- 1 tablespoon canola oil or butter
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk (your choice, I used vanilla almond milk)
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 tablespoons canned pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 4 slices whole grain bread
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- For garnish: 2 tablespoon walnuts, toasted and chopped*
- Heat canola oil or butter in large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat.
- In a shallow dish, thoroughly whisk together the eggs, milk, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla, pumpkin puree and a pinch of salt.
- Place the bread in the egg mixture and flip to coat each side. Transfer to the preheated skillet. Cook on medium-low for about 4 minutes or until bread slightly puffs up and the bottom is golden brown. Flip and continue cooking an additional 3-4 minutes. Transfer to a plate or to a sheet tray in a 200°oven until ready to serve.
- For the maple drizzle, in a small microwaveable dish, combine maple syrup with pumpkin pie spice. Microwave for about 10 seconds.
- Top the french toast with toasted walnuts and drizzle with the warmed maple syrup.
*To toast walnuts, preheat oven to 350°. Place walnuts on a large rimmed sheet tray. Toast for about 8 minutes or until fragrant and lightly golden (check them often – they burn easily!) Toast up a whole mess of walnuts and store them in the freezer.